New Years Resolutions for Teachers: Looking Back to Look Forward

By
Advertisement

SUMMARY: News Years prompts a look back and forward to the making of teacher resolutions. The author safely gives a list of his own, with some useful websites to use in the classroom and profession.
Tim's 36 Years of Resolutions
timgauntley.blogspot.com
Something Old, Something New
As New Years approached this year (now last year!), I recalled an old teacher habit I had: making resolutions. So I updated my blog format as promised and hope you like the new look and functionality, especially Blogspot's Dynamic Views that allow the reader to customize viewing.
Then I considered the making of this year's resolutions. Each December 31st, like many of you, I would draw up my annual list of ways to improve my teaching. As winter waxed, my focus would wane. Before I knew it, the next year had rolled around and the all-too familiar list would have to be made again.
Searching for perfection seemed counterproductive. Better to have lived the moment. In fact, that would always be one of my yearly resolutions!
Retrospective Resolutions
This year, now that I am consulting and not school teaching, I can afford the luxury of looking back, without censure or accountability. So I have recalled all those lists, winnowed them down, generalized them to protect myself and others, and pretended that my resolutions are already resolved! 
Resolutions for 2012 Thirty-Six Years in the Making
  1. Become a great storyteller and collector of stories. Everyone has a story to tell, even you.
  2. Plan your work and work your plan. As my father used to say of his military days: “Good reconnaissance was seldom wasted.”
  3. Do what you need to survive but go beyond. When teaching is merely about getting through the day, maybe it’s time to call it a day.
  4. Collaborate to root your labour in your profession. You stand on the shoulders of giants, and arm-in-arm with colleagues.
  5. Don’t just forgive your mistakes. Get others to help you laugh at them.
  6. Model lifelong learning in front of your student charges. Recharge them with your energy for deep feelings, conversation, and ideas.
  7. Every day memorize a poem, research a word, collect an anecdote, write a letter. Your synapses will thank you.
  8. Meditate, don’t medicate. Loving kindness may be a teacher’s best gift.
  9. Balance output with input. Your own learning (e.g., reading, viewing, traveling, listening) should equal your giving (marking, presenting, meeting, talking).
  10. Live more in the moment. It is all here, NOW, so you don’t need to make new resolutions every year!
Happy New Year
Useful Websites About Making Resolutions
Lively activities and teacher tips to help students plan and achieve their potential.
Making resolutions with children that not only affect them, but also those around them, locally and globally.
Inspirational piece on making resolutions by starting small.
Time to “throw away the education blueprint”?
Five concise resolutions “to get your year started right.”
Wise words from Jon Orech.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels